An online interactive tool to support learning of organic chemistry
Knowing how to name and design molecules is a basic component essential to understanding and studying chemistry. However, there is not a wide variety of resources to practice, improve and acquire good proficiency in nomenclature, especially in the French language.
The tool is based on four learning objectives:
- Name a structure according to established nomenclature rules
- Draw a structure according to its systematic name based on these same rules
- Identify the key parts of the compounds
- Identify the connection between these molecules and their applications in the everyday world
In phase one, a prototype was developed as a proof of concept. The tool contains a directory of one hundred organic compounds and targets first and second year undergraduate students.
Choice / Challenge:
The quiz incorporates MarvinSketch (academic license) a product of ChemAxon to provide feedback on the user’s submission based on established nomenclature rules.
The tool is organised into four sections based on the learning objectives: Name, Draw, Identify, and Benzene derivatives. The quiz provides immediate feedback. Supplemental material includes a memory-aid for naming and drawing molecules and downloadable question/answer sheets.
Utilization of Multimedia (low/medium/high):
Materials and Media Selected:
- Self-assessment with formative feedback