Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training is mandatory for all employees working for Canadian organizations. At the University of Ottawa, it is mandatory for all staff and graduate students.
This program was launched in January 2005 in multiple versions targeting specific occupational groups in both French and English.
Challenge: In 2004, the Office of Risk Management approached the Centre for Innovative Pedagogies and Digital Learning (CIPDL) to see how they could improve their training program. Three major challenges were identified:
- Not all computers on campus could handle video and sound;
- People could not take the course off campus;
- The content could not be changed to target issues specifically related to the University.
Approach: A modular approach was used in the design. It also combines elements of constructivism and behaviorism.
Utilization of Multimedia (low/medium/high):
- a combination of low, medium and high
Materials and Media Selected: :
- Identification Activities
- Classification Activities
- Formative testing