Second Language Certification Course
Description / Context:
Sponsored by the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI), the second language certification course is a pre-requisite for the Second Language Certification Test. All students who complete the course and are successful on the test automatically receive a Second Language Certificate.
This course targets:
- students who identify themselves as being at a high-intermediate
to advanced level of proficiency in their second language;
- students who have obtained a Bilingual Certificate from their secondary school;
- students who have completed a number of years in an Immersion program or in secondary-level academic second language courses;
- students who have successfully completed ESL 2122/ESL 2121 or FLS 2522/FLS 2521 or more advanced-level ESL or FLS courses at the University of Ottawa.
Instructional Challenge: Even though a lot of questions and materials were already available, most were not well suited to the types of learning activities that were possible in an online environment. Due to these technical limitations, the vast majority of questions had to be revised. Another technical challenge arose from the sheer volume of audio clips that were to be integrated into the online materials. CD-ROMs were chosen as the preferred medium given the additional technical requirements associated with the integration of so many audio files.
Approach: This course is split into 3 independent modules, each addressing a specific theme. Each module offers a series of diagnostic exercises within a behaviorist framework.
Utilization of Multimedia (low/medium/high):
Materials and Media Selected:
- Fill-in the blank activities
- Association activities
- True-false and multiple-choice questions
- Sorting/Reordering of sentences
- Identification activities (with audio and video)
- Pronunciation activities