Certificate in University Teaching for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
Are you a graduate student intending to apply for a teaching position? If so, reflecting on your teaching, improving your skills and developing your practice may provide you with an advantage.
The Certificate in University Teaching for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows aims to:
- Help develop the professional skills required to hold a faculty position at the university level;
- Offer training that enhances instructional practice;
- Facilitate discussion and collaboration; and
- Implement the use of various learning methods, including information and communication technologies.
The training program includes:
- A course in university teaching (ESG5300 - Theory and Practice of Undergraduate Teaching);
- A course in university teaching and technology (ESG6100 - Technology and University Teaching);
- A practicum in university teaching (ESG8300 – Practicum in University Teaching).
- The professional development program is free for full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows of the University of Ottawa.
- The ESG courses are included on the official transcript of full-time students (see the CUT for details).
- Participants must fully attend all ESG courses of the program in order to obtain the certificate.
- There is a registration limit of 30 people per course.
- Completion of ESG 5300, ESG 5500, ESG 8300 and ESG 8500 during the five (5) years prior to registration to the certificate will be recognized.
- Certificates are only conferred in the spring; however, where required, a letter may be provided by the Director of the Centre for University Teaching which confirms completion of the certificate requirements.
- The courses/workshops/conferences applied toward this certificate cannot also be used toward the certificate for University Teaching for Faculty Members.
- The certificate cannot be used towards a degree and is not equivalent to any other professional certification.
- The certificate is non-credited and not part of the programs approved by the University of Ottawa Senate.
There is a registration limit of 30 people per course.
All current uOttawa graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are invited to register for the following program:
Theory and Practice of Undergraduate Teaching (Blended Course)
Prerequisite: ESG 5300/5500
The successful completion of ESG5300 and ESG8300 prior to registering for this training program will be recognized within the certificate.
This program will equip graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with the skills to:
- Design a course and develop related learning activities;
- Use a range of teaching and learning methods;
- Guide individual students or student groups in their learning;
- Evaluate learning processes;
- Evaluate their teaching methods;
- Analyse their professional environment and develop appropriate professional and personal strategies;
- Begin to reflect on both their teaching methods and their professional development.
This training is free for University of Ottawa full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
The Centre for University Teaching (CUT), part of the Teaching and Learning Support Service (TLSS), is responsible for this training program.
* Please note that these courses are included in the official transcript but do not count towards credit. This certificate is not part of the programs approved by the University of Ottawa Senate.