Connection to Virtual Campus
The Virtual Campus is powered by Brightspace
Professors now have access to the new Virtual Campus, the learning management system (LMS) that replaces Blackboard Learn as of the spring/summer 2017 term. Here is a quick reference for those using the tool for the first time.
1. Use Maestro to create, migrate or merge existing courses to Virtual Campus
Maestro, the new portal for Professors, was created to ensure that courses entered into uoCampus by the academic units are properly migrated to Virtual Campus. Once logged in, you will see your list of courses, labs, and DGDs that appear in uoCampus. At this point you can:
1. Confirm course creation in Virtual Campus: identify which courses are ready to be created as-is.
Note: Faculty will only see their courses once they have been assigned as the primary instructor to their courses by their respective Faculties/Departments in uoCampus. Our system is automated and pulls information from uoCampus several times a day. If your name is not assigned as the primary instructor to your course in uoCampus, it will not be visible in Maestro. Please contact your faculty to correct the situation.
2. Merge sections or labs, which are currently displayed as multiple courses, with their respective parent course prior to having it created in the system. Please note that this merge is a one-time operation that must be performed before requesting course creation. We are unable to merge courses once they are created. If you are unable to view your courses it is likely that your faculty has not yet entered the information in uoCampus.We start receiving courses from uoCampus on March 1st for the summer semester, and on June 1st for the Fall and Winter semesters.
3. Migrate old Blackboard Learn courses: During the course creation process you will also have the option to request the migration of BBL content to the new Virtual Campus. Courses will be migrated within 3 business days from the request submission date but fall 2017 and winter 2018 courses will not be migrated before June 1. You are still required to request the creation of your fall and winter courses in the new Virtual Campus.
Logging into Virtual Campus will allow you to:
- Verify course creation from Maestro (72-hour delay).
- Create new courses from scratch.
- Get familiar with the new tool: explore around, or take a demo course that has been created specifically for you! This course (located within the Virtual Campus tool) will be available throughout your career at the University of Ottawa. This will not only help you get familiar with the new platform, but could also allow you to start the development of your course (if your course is not showing in your list yet). Once your official course shows in your list, you can transfer this content to your course.
Both online and in-person training is available for the new Virtual Campus
Training on Virtual Campus training is now available!
Training will focus on the basic functions of the platform (navigation, content management and an overview of available tools) and from May onwards a series of more targeted training workshops will be offered to provide a deeper understanding of basic functions (communication tools, assessment tools, etc.).
To further explore or work with a particular tool, you can also visit our computer lab which will be open from 8:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. from Monday to Friday during the months of March and April (Vanier Hall, room 1020).
24 hours per day 7 days a week
Support Request Form