February 2018 Release Notes (10.7.10)
Each month, Brightspace publishes release notes with the upcoming changes to the LMS. I present here the changes that will impact our community. The full release notes are available on the Brightspace Community.
Brightspace Daylight Experience – Navigation and Themes aligned with Daylight standard | Updated
For customers using the Brightspace Daylight Experience, the Create Navbar and Edit Navbar pages now include only fields applicable in the Daylight Experience. Changes include the following:
- Simplified link builder interface and create/edit link workflow.
- New option to edit the navbar title regardless of the theme you are using. Previously, this was restricted to the Classic theme only.
- Titles continue to be hidden at the Org level in favor of a logo-based design. Titles at all other org unit levels can be customized regardless of the theme. Previously, titles could not be hidden in the Daylight Experience.
- Titles now appear by default at all org unit levels except the Org. Previously, titles were only shown at the course level.
Note: If you do not want a title to appear for an org unit (such as a department or school), you must set the title to display as None after the upgrade.
Brightspace Daylight Experience – My Courses widget uses enrollment date to display courses | Updated
The My Courses widget no longer automatically pins future courses; rather, the widget displays results by current enrollments or last activity in a non-pinned state. Users can continue to manually pin courses as appropriate for their purposes.
If there are less than 50 total enrollments, they are sorted as follows:
- The My Courses widget shows manually pinned courses followed by current enrollments, then future enrollments (if they are available or visible to the user) for a total of 12 enrollments. Note that more than 12 if all the course enrollments might appear if they are all manually pinned.
- The Course Selector drop-down menu shows manually pinned courses, followed by current enrollments, then future enrollments (if they are available and visible to the user), and finally, past enrollments (if they are visible to the user).
- The View All Courses navigation drills down into the courses by showing manually pinned courses, followed by current enrollments, then future enrollments (if available and visible to the user), then past enrollments (if available or visible to the user) as the default sort. If the user changes the sort order, the filter does not separate pinned courses from other courses based on sort order, filters, and search terms.
If there are more than 50 total enrollments, they are sorted as follows:
- The My Courses widget shows manually pinned courses followed by up to 12 last-accessed courses. Note that more than 12 courses might appear in the widget if they are all manually pinned.
- The Course Selector drop-down menu shows manually pinned courses, followed by up to 12 last-accessed courses, followed by all remaining courses available to the user.
- The View all Courses area shows manually pinned courses followed by up to 12 last-accessed courses, followed by all remaining courses available or visible to the user as the sort order. If the user changes the sort order, the filter does not separate pinned courses from other courses based on the sort order, filters, and search terms.
In addition, there are interface improvements, including:
- Pinned courses now have a visible pin icon on the course title in the My Courses widget, similar to the Course Selector visible state.
- The Course Starts message now includes a time as well as a date. In addition, the Course Starts lang term has been updated to Opens On, and the Course Ends lang term has been updated to Closed to better reflect discrepancies between course dates and LMS availability.
- Newly-pinned courses are added to the bottom of the pinned list.
HTML Editor – Advanced image editing | Updated
This feature updates the HTML Editor to include expanded image editing capabilities for the WYSIWYG editor where PowerPaste is enabled. Users can now edit images in place (including flipping, rotating, and adjusting brightness, sharpness, and color), edit the image description, and edit the size of the image. Users with access to Manage Files can save image edits to the Manage Files area, while users without access to Manage Files can save images as attachments. This feature implements PIE item D3975.
This update is currently exclusive to creating discussion posts, announcements, and content (excluding module descriptions).
Note: Image changes save to Manage Files, or, depending on user permissions, as new file attachments to the item (such as Discussions) every time a change is made. Multiple edits will create multiple items.
Question Library – New question import workflows | Updated
This feature adds new ways for instructors to search the Question Library when adding questions to a quiz. Using a slide in panel featuring the questions in a tree structure enables easy navigation of questions to be added to quizzes. The ability to sort questions by their source collection, question type, points value, and question text has also been added. This feature appears in new quiz upload files and the Question Library.
Quicklinks – Self-Enrollment groups link | Updated
Instructors can now insert a Quicklink to self-enrolling groups. This update provides learners a direct path to sign up for their group and a new Group Self-Enrollment screen.
This feature implements PIE item D316.
Quizzes - Due dates available | New
To improve the consistency of dates across tools in Brightspace Learning Environment, due dates are available for quizzes. This allows instructors to better communicate when quizzes are due, and better identify when a learner submits a quiz late. This change impacts when quizzes are marked as late. A quiz is now considered late if it is submitted after the due date is reached. Previously, ‘late’ referred to attempts submitted after the time limit of an ‘enforced time limit’ quiz was exceeded. Quizzes submitted after the due date are labeled ‘submitted late’. Quizzes submitted after the time limit is reached are now labeled as ‘exceeded time limit’.
What is in this update and not enabled at uOttawa?